This got me thinking to all of our pet peeves, things that other people do that we just can't stand! So I sent out an e-mail to my friends, some I spoke to face to face and asked them, what's your pet peeve? The answers were fantastic! But, not only were the answers interesting, the way the answers were delivered were even more fantastic! It was truly interesting to see how worked up all my friends got when talking about things that pissed them off! THE CAPITAL LETTERS (like I did above...!), the exclamation points !!!!!!!!!!!! (i.e. I hate when people walk slow!!!!!!!!!) and when I asked a friend of mine at my home, we were sitting on the couch and she took the time to get up from the couch and mimic what the person did to piss her off. Come to think of it now, I can't even remember what her pet peeve was, but I remember the standing up and getting all intense about it! It's crazy how some people can do things that just make us so upset! I even thought to myself, man I need to chill out a little...Stupid people will be stupid people and there aint much I can do about it!
Through all the answers I received, 2 main themes came up... First, people hate it when other people are not aware of their surroundings whether
- it's driving slow
- walking slow
- trying to get in the metro when people are still trying to come out or being in the way when people are trying to get out
- people that don't cover their mouth when they cough or sneeze
- people that are late
- people that try to squeeze through the closing door without keeping it open for you
The other theme, is just simply things that piss us off...
- people who have bad habits like chew with their mouth open, make weird noises with their mouths, bad breath, bad BO
- waiting in line-ups or waiting for people
- people who think they know it all
- dry toothpaste
- people that don't put any effort to look good if leaving the house
- people with bad grammar
- people that know it all
- waiters that dont look like they like their job
- sitting next to John Candy on the plane
- people that can't pronounce words properly.. (It's ESPRESSO not EXPRESSO)
- using too many dishes when cooking
- women with annoying high pitch voices - Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiii...can I smack you please?
You know something I hate... when I'm at the restaurant and I finished my plate, like completely finished my plate...THERE IS NOTHING LEFT ON MY PLATE and the waiter comes and asks me, are you finished with that? Am I finished with that??!?! What else do you expect me to do???? Lick my plate?? Suddenly turn Greek and throw it to the ground? Instead of asking if Im done, ask me if I enjoyed it...come on peopllleeee!
I have tons of different pet peeves, and you know, some of them can just disappear if we all started to pay attention to our surroundings, to the people that are walking right next us. I think that if we put ourselves in other people's shoes just a little more often, we would be more conscious of our slow walking, bad driving, talking too much about ourselves and reduce it! Then again, for some other pet peeves, there isnt much we can do about it but VENT! And boy, I really think that experience was theraputic for some of you!!!
So you need some therapy too... add something in this world that bugs you to the comments below!!